Tales From The Main

Snapshots of small town life - zany characters and our neverending poker game.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Back from our trip to Vegas

We're got back from Vegas yesterday morning. It was quite the trip - if you're going to be in Vegas I highly reccomend you do it in the company of one of the most successful gamblers in the world :) Follow the link for all the details.

Losing two nights sleep in a row played a bit of havoc with my system so yesterday afternoon I decided to take a nap. I was so out of it I didn't even realize the cleaning ladies were busy working around me!

Later that evening we had multiple soccer games to go to. Little Cindy was playing and had a breakaway on net. She kicked the ball as hard as she could, cleanly beating the other team's 'keeper, only to have the ball stop rolling right on the goal line. The sidelines went crazy yelling at both her and the 'keeper to get the ball while the two little girls just stood there looking at it. After what seemed like ages (but was probably no more than 10 seconds), another defender came swooping in and cleared it out. One of these days she'll get one!

After soccer and bedtime rituals Carol and I decided to chill out with a DVD. We popped in an oldie, Gandhi, which I had never seen before. It probably wasn't the best choice for a night when I was already tired as it ran more than 3 hours but if you haven't seen it I highly reccomend it if for nothing more than the absolutely stunning performance by Ben Kingsley in the title role. (Note: Just checked - it won 8 Oscars including Best Actor. I can't argue with the academy's choice on that one). As a tech executive that deals with Indian companies on a regular basis I am somewhat ashamed to admit that my watching of that film comprises the sum total of my knowledge of the life of Gandhi. Considering India's position in the world today and the film's depiction of the influence he had in the development of modern India I owe it to myself to further my education. If anyone has a book they recommend on the topic please let me know.

Tonight will be a quiet night as will the rest of this week. The only event we are scheduled for is a charity boxing event on Thursday (spectating not participating). Looking forward the weekend is empty! I wonder what trouble we can get into?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home