Tales From The Main

Snapshots of small town life - zany characters and our neverending poker game.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Firing on all cylinders…

Yesterday I decided to put my fitness regime in high gear and start riding my bike to work. I have to admit it was a little longer than I expected – around 13 miles – but about 10 minutes after I arrived I was feeling fantastic. Nothing like a brisk few minutes of exercise to raise your spirits.

The good feeling persisted throughout the day and into the evening. I was able to blast through a couple of poker books – I read Antonio E’s slim volume on no limit cash games – it was surprisingly good – and also read a little more in the killer poker series. It must have helped because I ended up with a big night on the table.

My night started out slowly and I was stuck about $100 within the first hour. Then everything came together. My first big hand started when I found 67s on the button. I raised – hoping to represent AK or AQ and had three callers. The flop came K85 rainbow. Callin’ bet $10 and both Moose and I called. The turn was a beautiful 4. Callin’ bet and both Moose and I smooth called. The river brought a deuce, Callin’ bet another $20, Moose folds and I popped it $45 more. Callin’ called with K8 and I was off to the races.

I made a few other big hands – one where I busted Moose holding a J to his 7 on a JJ77A board – I must have taken him for $250 on that hand alone. I was also able to grab a big pot off of Doc when I filled another boat on the turn to his top two pair. We started around 6 and by 9 I was sitting on a stack of over $800 – probably 60% of all the chips in play.

Carol had dropped by on her way home from work and she was looking fine – I had already told the boys that I was out of there early that night and none of them could possibly misunderstand why! I announced I was leaving after one more round (8 hands) then proceeded to pick up A10, A8s, A3c and AKo. I also found pocket 6’s and pocket 4’s. In all I had playable hands in 6 of my last 8 yet did not hit a single flop. I ended up giving back $160 of my stack in the last round but even in hindsight there wasn’t much I could do about that. I am particularly proud of my A10o hand. I was in late position and both Angus and Doogie Howser limped in front of me. I popped it to 5X the BB looking to just take it down there – only to have Angus raise me then Doogie reraise him. I laid my hand down – showing it to Callin’ before I did. He later told me that he could not believe I laid that hand down – probably a good reason why I have yet to see him cash out at the end of an evening! The flop came 10 high rainbow – good thing I laid my hand down as Angus held QQ and Doogie had JJ. One big bet saved right there.

All in all it was an excellent night. I was home by 10:30 with money in my pocket and a sense of satisfaction. I was able to maximize my big hands and minimize the pots I lost. Not once did I push the second best hand and the monster hands I did get were played with marginal hands like J9s and 67s. Just a little reinforcement for the boys that I am a maniac loose aggressive person when in reality I am the tightest player at the table.

Hours Played 4
Net winnings +$520
Hours Played 141
Year to date net of expenses + $3866.00
Hourly rate + $27.41

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home