Tales From The Main

Snapshots of small town life - zany characters and our neverending poker game.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

A bad run on the table - but life is really good.



The last few trips haven't been productive. One of them – there have been two – one due to pure asinine action. I just could not stop myself from calling. It was as if some compulsion had taken control of my hand making me throw chips into the pot. The problem on that night was my playing textbook poker. Bet the flop to price out my opponents draws. Make great reads. Call when I KNEW I was beat. I even called out hole cards that beat me – then called a three-figure river bet! What a moron.


Net on the night. - $100

5 hours



The second night I had lots to do so I could only play for 3 hours. I played much better, listening to the little voice this time and folding in marginal situations. Unfortuately this time I suffered bad beat after bad beat. I got allin in pre-flop with aces but had two callers – K9o and Q10o. Of course I end up losing – but what really hurt was that it was the first frickin' hand of the night! And not only did I lose but I end up with the worst hand! I should have just called it a night right there. The evening was bookended by my dream hand. I 'm in the cutoff – for those of you who don't know that's the position to the right of the dealer – when I'm dealt pocket 8's. We've got a full table by this time. The Captain's dealing to my left, Soundman's posted the small blind and Brad's in the big.


Moose cradle's the card's in his big paws, peers down, and with a quick grimace slides them across the table toward the three grimy white chips sitting waiting for company. Not a good beginning – Moose is one of the likely candidates to chase draws and would have called my raise.


Sam slides his red quickly in – too quickly – he's got nothing and just wants to see a cheap flop.


Smiley's got his chips ready – Sarge next to him has noticed and is already to go ahead and toss his cards away. Smiley looks down – riffles – and pushes forward his little stack of chips. “All in!”, he announces, firmly, gleefully. But he's only got $10 and in this game that's not going too much respect.


Sarge mucks, and I flat call – hoping to get heads up – or at least just have callers behind me and then flop a set. Sure enough the Captain folds, Soundman calls and Brad calls.


The Captain burns and turns and there it is – just like it will be once every eight times or so – the third eight. Even better this time my eight is boss – it's top set – meaning the eight is the highest of the three cards. The flop was 8 5 2 with two diamonds. There was now $40 in the main pot and I was last to act. I didn't have much thinking to do. Soundman bet $10 – Brad instantly went all-in for about $800 – Smiley was already in – and I had the nuts. There was literally no card that anyone could hold that could beat me at that point. Certainly I could lose and there were some scary draws out there but realistically would any of them have called a raise with 34 and then go all in on a side pot. Brad had to have a big pair and I had no idea what Soundman had. It took me about 5 seconds to call – about $40 more and then Soundman called. He had about $65 so Brad pulled back most of his stacks.


Once we sort out all the side pots we flip cards. Sure enough Brad had aces, Smiley laughs, says good hand and throws his cards in the muck. I smile and flip my eights. Soundman flips over A3o and yells out “open-ender”. Sarge nearly chokes him. To make matters worse the very next card is the 4 – filling in his gutshot. The river is a blank and my $160 pot is up in smoke.


Open ender. I should have just gone home.



Results - $ 120

Hours 3


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home